Blog








Why Writing Goals Down Is Critical

Posted by: Anne | Posted on: August 30th, 2011 | 0 Comments

Studies have shown that 3% of Harvard MBAs make ten times as much as the other 97% combined.  Why?

In the study conducted in 1979, new graduates were asked “Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?” they found that

  • 84% had no specific goals at all
  • 13% had goals but they were not committed to paper
  • 3% had clear, written goals and plans to accomplish them

In 1989, the interviewers again interviewed the graduates of that class.

The 13% of the class who had goals were earning, on average, twice as much as the 84 percent who had no goals at all.

  • Even more staggering – the three percent who had clear, written goals were earning, on average, ten times as much as the other 97 percent put together.

(Source:  from the book What They Don’t Teach You in the Harvard Business School, by Mark McCormack)

What do you think, is it worth giving it a go and see how you get on?  have you tried writing down you goals and if so, how did it go for you?

Leave a Comment